The Stanhope Lions Club was chartered June 15, 1951 with 42 charter members. Our first president was Dr. R. W. Wilder, the local veterinarian. The Stanhope Lions have sponsored and supported numerous activities and projects over the past 65 years.
A community building was our first major project spearheaded by the club in 1952. This was followed by another goal of raising funds for a firetruck to serve the town and rural areas. Money for this project was raised in only three weeks! A picture of the new fire engine with some of the members onboard graced the front cover of the Lions International magazine. In the early years of our club, fund raising consisted of white elephant sales in the city park among other things.
Starting in 1957, our Annual Watermelon Day has become the major source of income, along with a fall soup supper and a pancake supper held in February. Many local projects have been supported and funded in part by our club. A few examples include bleachers for the Ball Diamond, Park Restrooms, Tennis Court, Park Shelter House, Park Trees, Press Box, and the First $1000 contributed for the Medical Building.
We have sponsored Boy & Girl Scout programs, supported the Clear Lake 4-H Club, Contributed yearly to the South Hamilton Scholarships, the Hamilton County 4-H Foundation, and worked with Law Enforcement in numbering all the houses and businesses in town. We have given public recognition to local citizens and provided a large contribution towards the new Library/Community Center. These are but a few of the many contribution made to our community.
Our club continues to follow the Lions motto: “We Serve”.