After the first settlers came to what is now Stanhope they decided that their children should be taught the essentials of good citizenship. In 1871 Mrs. Ray Parker gathered the five children of the neighborhood and taught them to cipher and spell, read and write.
In 1879 a schoolhouse was moved to the corner one-half mile south of the present site of Stanhope. This was the Bitter Creek schoolhouse moved from Lake Center. Some of the teachers who taught here were S.D. Bute, Jackson Groves, Delila Kepler Bute and Joe Fardal.
Scene of a bobsled school party. Included in the party were Esther and Arnold Sealine; Ransom, Chester and Arlene Carlson; Herman and Clifford Carlstedt; Conrad Lundquist; Elma Bockwoldt, the teacher in white stocking cap.
In 1893 a new school building was put up. The first principal was Mrs. Olmstead. About 1898 Belle Iverson was elected to teach and continued to teach for thirty-eight years. Only an elementary course was given until Mr. Fred Runkle became principal in 1902 and organized a first year high school course.
About 1898 Belle Iverson was elected to teach the primary room and taught for thirty-eight years.
An eight-room brick building was built in 1914. The bell from the old schoolhouse was put in this new building. In 1917 the first four-year high school class graduated. In 1923 four classrooms and a gymnasium were added to the brick structure. The last class to graduate under the name of Stanhope High School was the Class of 1962. Fardal Opera House was used for many graduation exercises.
The old schoolhouse bell is now displayed at the Stanhope Park.
The old schoolhouse was moved from the west side of town to the east side. In its new location the structure was remodeled into a stately home.